Monday, April 20, 2009

Puerto Arista to the Guatemala border

If you remember back to when we left Puerto Escondido, I had to bump start my bike becaue it had a dead battery. The battery still isn't holding a charge, and I have to bump start it every time. Shane suggested the battery terminals may be loose or corroded. In the morning I got up before Shane, as usual, and went to pull my bike apart to check the battery terminals. They weren't loose, or particularly dirty, but I cleaned them anyway. As I was reassembling everything, I noticed a spark when I went to connect my GPS power lead. The GPS wasn't even on the bike, there so there should be no current draw. I traced the problem back to a short in the cigarette lighter socket. I have no idea what anyone was thinking when they designed these things, I don't think I've ever had an accessory powered off a cigarette lighter socket that worked 100% of the time. a little electrical tape and I had the bike back together before Shane got out of bed.

By this time it had started to rain a little, then stopped. the clouds in the sky didn't make me want to stick around any longer.


It was only a couple hour ride to Tapachula, and the Guatemala border. As is par for the course, I got a flat tire. I stopped counting how many flats that is.


I limped it to this shop and paid George 50 pesos to patch my tube, he was really busy so I lent a hand getting the wheel off the bike.



George spoke very good english, and had developed this ingenious press that the used the heating element from a clothin iron th help adhere the patch to the tube.



Meanwhile, George's son was having the time of his life sitting on my bike and playing with the horn.

It wasn't much longer and we were back on mex 200, through Tapachula, and to the Mexico-Guatemala border at Talisman-El Carmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment