Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Recovering from ¨The Great Loss of 2009¨ part 1

If you remember back to what we have dubbed ¨The Great Loss of 2009¨ where Shane lost the top bag off his bike. It fell off along a mountain road and we were unable to find it. Along with some riding gear, some tools and some spare parts, he lost his passport, motorcycle registration, his spare key and Chris's laptop.

Step one was to get a new passport. Rode to Oaxaca from Puerto Escondido, only 150 miles, but took about 5 hours, and Shane got a flat tire. Once in Oaxaca we found the US consolate and ordered a new passport without too much hastle, it would be there the following Tuesday. We decided to take the slightly less windy route back to Puerto, but it wasn't really any better. It got dark and we were at a 9000 foot elevation only 30 miles away from the ocean. Up that high I swear we were in a cloud and it was super cold, of course we didn't bring cold weather gear. To top it off I had only eaten lunch that day, and it was definately wearing on me. Somehow I only weigh 40 pounds more than Shane but need to eat about twice as much as him. We found some food on the side of the road and then eventually made it back to Puerto Escondido, with time to go out with everyone from the hostel.

1 comment:

  1. Dude, just found your blog by google up Mexican to Guatemala border crossing. You're my twin brother!

    You use the same blog engine
    Same layout on blogger
    Same SPOT GPS tracker
    Similar concept (take a dirt bike to central a.)
    Pretty much same amount of followers
    Pretty much same picture to text ratio

    I'm just a month behind you and I swear I haven't seen your blog before. Had to leave you this comment! Awesome! Hope you had the same amount of fun I'm having!

    http://www.dirksmcdiaries.blogspot.com/

    Thanks for posting this, I had no problem crossing the border today!

    Dirk

    ReplyDelete