Friday, April 10, 2009

Puerto Escondido to Mitla

Yet again, we woke up early to head out to Oaxaca, out of bed at 7 AM, I don’t think Shane likes this much. Kathryn, Amanda, and Lucas, a few of our new friends drag themselves out of bed to wish us a safe journey. As is par for the course at this point, something is already not going as planned, my bike won’t start, the battery is dead. I have no idea why this is, I took Kathryn for a ride a day earlier and the bike fired up no problem. I bump start the bike and we are on our way.


For some reason the ride to Oaxaca was more enjoyable this time. Maybe it’s because we knew what we were getting into. I think if Mex131 was in my backyard, it may be one of my favorite riding roads, very tight and slow, with huge elevation gains and beautiful scenery. It has a few dirty sections, but I’m on a KLR not a sport bike, so it’s no big deal.




On the decent down to Oaxaca, Shane spotted a dirt road that seemed to go in the direction we needed to be heading, so we decided to see where it goes. The road followed some power lines, back home that’s one of the easiest ways to find dirt tracks. Normally the power company plows a descent trail for installation and maintenance of the lines. In Mexico, this proved to not always be the case, as this particular trail turned to a rocky goat trail that neither Shane nor I felt like riding on loaded down KLRs with stock skid plates, so we returned to the highway and made our way to Oaxaca.


Once Shane had his Passport in hand, we grabbed some tacos and decided that there wasn’t a lot we wanted to see in Oaxaca. This was mostly because I didn’t want to bore Shane with churches and museums. We decided to keep riding to Mitla, a pre-hispanic town turned colonial town, and check out the ruins there. By the time we got to Mitla, we would only have had an hour to check out the ruins before they closed, so we decided to do it in the morning.


Most other towns in Mexico seem to just start waking up around 8pm, and we were a little tired, so we decided to take a little nap before dinner. It turns out Mitla is a little different, and nothing was open after our nap. We rode around town looking for food and the only place that we could find open was “Brown Taco” it was actually quite good, but I think al pastor tacos may be my favorite food ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment